ANST - Nobility/noblesse oblige?

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 12 11:21:52 PDT 1998

Daniel de Lincolia wrote:
> My first thought was "why should precedence reflect duties,
> responsibilities, oror virtue"?  (The brief form of my longer
> ramblings of last night.)  Precedence is just rank order,
> a moderately arbitrary scoring mechanism.  Then I remembered
> Robin of Gilwell discoursing on the rec.org.sca Usenet
> newsgroup about honor versus virtue and changes in the concepts
> of honor.  He cited Aristotle (I think) saying that honor
> (visible precedence, among others) is the outward sign
> of worth.  On the third hand, how does that square with
> medieval notions of inheritance (you step into your father's
> shoes) and tradition (you have precedence as King of Jerusalem
> because you do, despite the kingdom being long gone)?  I think
> I should corner him at an event, or ask him to teach /
> lead a discussion.

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!  I'm sure Master Robin would be
more than happy to lead a discussion group on that/those topics.
He is a wonderful sounding board, and an old friend.  I would love
to see what sort of consensus a group would come up with, or
just enjoy the discussion itself!
How 'bout it Robin?!
Baroness Caterina