ANST - Nobility/peerages-HISTORY SCA NOTE

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Jun 12 09:29:20 PDT 1998

Rayah / nib <nib at flash.net> wrote:
> At one point, TWO orders were decided to be created out of that to
> recognize folks for their seperate work-The Pelicans and the Laurels-and
> those who recieved the society award had to decide which one they
> thought they did more of - arts or sciences.

I think there was one more step in there.  The Pelican was originally
created by the Board of Directors for *them* to recognize service (to
the Society as a whole, I believe).  Later, the Board decided to get
out of the Middle Ages, as it were.  They gave control of the Pelican
to the kingdoms, and I think that's when people could decide (like
Willow de Wisp, as one example) to switch.  (At some point, the Board
also dropped "Your Serenity" as their title and "The Imperium" for the
name for the corporation.  The latter survives in an SCA song,
"Imperium Compound".)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;