ANST - Baron/ess as Representative of the Crown

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri Jun 12 10:30:21 PDT 1998

Daniel de Lincolia said:
>In the SCA?  It may be mere unarguable opinion (as in "de gustibus non
>disputantam est"), but despite the talk of "direct representatives",
>I've never really seen a landed baron/ess do something that can be
>interpreted as being the representative of the Crown.  If the Crown
>wants to say or do something, they do or say it themselves.  Sure, the
>landed baron/esses hand out some kingdom awards, but the Crown could
>delegate anyone to do that if they liked.  The armigerous baronial
>service orders?  Tho' Corpora says royalty has to approve armigerous
>awards in advance, I see them as the gift of the baron/ess and Corpora
>ought to be ignored.

I have to disagree.  Having been close friends for many years with a number
of territorial barons and baronesses, and hearing their woes, I know that
the Crown *does* ask a lot of their Territorial Barons and Baronesses.

For instance, the Crown often calls to consult with the Territorial
Baron/ess about whether or not to give an award.  If there is political
unrest in a barony, the Crown will call and consult with the Territorial
Baron/ess to find out what is going on and often to tell the Territorial
Baron/ess to get the unrest stopped.  The Crown calls the Territorial
Baron/ess to ask their opinions about political situations and award
recommendations elsewhere in the kingdom as well.

On paper, the Territorial Baron/ess has no real power - they are supposedly
a figurehead, with the group's seneschal having the actual, legal power.
But in reality people look to the Territorial Baron/ess to provide
long-term stability and leadership, to provide ideas for the group, to act
as a mediator between factions.  If something goes wrong with an event, the
Territorial Baron/ess gets the blame in many cases, but rarely the praise.

On a more prosaic level, being a Territorial Baron/ess means that you
cannot just say or do the things you used to -- now if you make a statement
with political overtones, it will be attributed as the belief of your
entire group, and your actions likewise reflect on the group.  So a
Territorial Baron/ess has to watch their step, because their actions can
have a real impact on the group they represent.  And the Territorial
Baron/ess is never "off duty" - whether in their home barony or outside it,
they are a political figure, subject to brownnosing, being buttonholed for
their opinion by other Territorial Baron/esses and Peers, and always at the
call of the Crown.

If there is one job in the SCA that you could name that I would rather be
burned at the stake than accept, it would be that of Territorial Baroness.
Hel, no, not this little girl from the wilds of Finland!  My mamma didn't
raise no idiots, thank you very much!  I'm glad we have those who do wish
to nail down the job, because it's a necessary one, and a hard one, but not
one that I *ever* want!

On the other hand, I'd love a Court Barony -- neat jewellry, you get
supporters on your arms, you can choose to hold courts if you wish, but
there are NO responsibilities attached!  Now that's the way to go!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)