ANST - White Scarves as Peers?

Casey&Coni cjw at vvm.com
Fri Jun 12 18:49:15 PDT 1998

Jeremy wrote, concerning individuals who have achieved a laurel for Mastery
of Defense:

>This has been done with an individual in Idaho.  (I think that's
>Atenveldt.)  So far, I think that he's the only one.  I met him at Pennsic
>about four years ago.  The fact that he is alone speaks volumes.  I can't
>say that I can see our Laurels sitting still for it.
>
> Jeremy

Master Gwyllam lives in Arizona and he is one of three men I know of who has
received a laurel for defense in as many kingdoms.  Word on the street is
that there may well be another being done soon in Atenveldt.  There is also
(to my knowledge- there may be more) one individual who has been given a
laurel for his endeavors in the art of archery and boyering.

The caliber of the individual in question is such that I *seriously* doubt
our laurel circle would have much of a beef with it.  He knows period
technique backwards and forwards, has translated a (Dutch??) manual, and
makes his own clothing and cutlery.  Were we, in this kingdom, to have
someone of that caliber in the art of defense, I am somewhat certain that
the laurels would be going to the Crown rather than vice versa.  Actually,
I'm a bit surprised our kingdom hasn't followed suit with this idea-  I can
think of a couple of dons who might easily make the cut *wink* and perhaps
even a non-scarf as well.

I think this approach to the rapier community's further advancement is more
in line with the gentle qualities that Castiglione writes about; more
courtier and less killer.

These thoughts are brought to you by someone who is a member of none of the
circles involved and the letters 'W' and 'H' as well as the number '6'.

Dieterich