ANST - So You've Got Your AoA. Now What?

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 13 11:01:37 PDT 1998

Greetings Friends!

Erik Wulfriksson wrote:

> So, what do we do now, we new Lords and Ladies? I know there is a lot of
> work being done to make all the cool things happen that are always
> happening, but how do you score some? I mean, beyond patrolling the event
> looking for people carrying heavy objects? Where and when are these
> things decided?

Most often these things are being decided at populace meetings, officer meetings
and at fighter practices.  If you want to take an active hand in helping your
local group, it is essential to show up at such things.  Try cornering your
local senechal and saying, "Hi, I'm ready, willing and able to do more for this
group, what do you need help with?"  Chances are they need more help than just
toting and carrying (although I've noticed that a lot of work done in a local
group involves lugging "stuff" to and fro).

Chances are that said senechal might faint in shock at someone actually
volunteering to handle more responsiblility.  I know many officers tend to spend
a lot of time saying stuff like, "Guys, I've been stuck with this office for 12
years now and I could really use a depeuty...or maybe someone to hand this
office  off to oneday.   Please?  Please?  Please?"

> How about the other fields? Meaning combat and A&S. Please,oh please,
> don't send ten thousand posts saying "Well, it depends on what you are
> interested in." Of course it does. But where to start?

Okay, for me this is how it started.  I liked singing to the radio in the car,
but had never sung in front of anyone before.  I had memorized a folk song and
was kinda curious what it sounded like to other ears.  So, I drew a friend off
into a private corner and sang for them.  The response was positive enough that
further down the line at an event, very late at night, and after a few drinks to
instill  courage (don't recommend this part, it's bad for the voice), I sang to
a small group of friends gathered at the campfire.  Later still I learned the
classic campfire songs for my barony and was able to join in group singing.
That lead to trying to hunt down better pieces of music to perform, which led to
eventually writing songs of my own.  Performing for small groups lead to larger
groups and eventually entering competitions.  All this lead to giving me the
courage to study music and voice mundanly.

That's how you start.  Replace "singing" with whatever interests you.

I wanted a hat to round out my new costume, so I made one from memories of early
Italian Renaissance paintings.  It worked well enough, but it wasn't quite
right.  So I went back and did some more research and found out a better way of
constructing a hat that looked more period.
Having a nice hat leads me to want nice shoes, so that means that pretty soon I
have to do the research to make me some nice shoes.  And so on and so on....

my thoughts, take them for what they're worth.  ;)
Gio.