ANST - Back to Stained Glass

Lenny Zimmermann zarlor at acm.org
Mon Jun 15 08:00:47 PDT 1998

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998 17:04:21 -0500, Joanna wrote:

[snip]
>I have seen paint for suncatchers at the hobby stores.  They might be
>okay for practicing until we find out how to do truly period
>pigments/stains.

Lady Isobel Hadleigh has been doing an incredible amount of research
into period glass painting. She is not, however, on the list but you
could try to reach her at gtaylor at lonestar.utsa.edu.

I do know that working with some of the paints you might find in a
hobby store will work great for practicing some basic painting
techniques and so you can get a feel for how glass painting looks, but
it's not very permanent and can easily be scratched off. In period,
and even today, most glass painting is done with a paint made of
several heavy metals and finely ground glass that is fired into the
glass itself with a kiln. Isobel would know a lot more about the
composition of the paints and firing temperatures and what-not.

You may be able to find the paint at some stained-glass supply stores.

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)
zarlor at acm.org