ANST - Imperial Pelicans

Lee Forgue eilis at haas.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 15 10:58:59 PDT 1998

At 12:29 PM 6/13/98 -0500, Alban wrote:
>Daniel (boy, I'm responding to a lot of his stuff) replied
>>I think there was one more step in there.  The Pelican was originally
>>created by the Board of Directors for *them* to recognize service (to the
>>Society as a whole, I believe).  Later, the Board decided to get
>>out of the Middle Ages, as it were.  They gave control of the Pelican to
>>the kingdoms, and I think that's when people could decide (like
>>Willow de Wisp, as one example) to switch.
>If I remember correctly, not quite. The Pelican wasn't given by the Board
>to other people for service; it was given by the Board to recently retired
>Board members, for service. Not to anyone else, for anything else. It was
>from the Board, to the honorably retired Board. I believe it wasn't until
>1973 or '74 that the Pelican was finally let go into the hands of the
>various kingdoms.

Actually, not quite -- the first Imperial Pelican went to Boncueur de
Myrobolan, who was the Registrar.  The next three went to the Treasurer,
Steward, and another "staff" worker.  I do not remember any Imperial
Pelicans being given as Board retirement titles.

  --- eilis o'boirne, Society Seneschal...whose third SCA event was a
magnificant and really scary for a newcomer banquet for "All the Laurels
and the Pelican"...guess whose date I was!!!