ANST - The Workings of the White Scarf Circle

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 15 14:35:26 PDT 1998

Gunnora said

>  >>> Gunnora Hallakarva <gunnora at bga.com> 06/12/98 08:08pm >>>
> The statement is simply factual - White Scarves are being evaluated for
> grant level award.  No one asks whether or not they fulfil the necessary
> traits one is supposed to have if one is a peer (the "bearing of a peer"....

To which Modius replies...

> Now I have only been a White Scarf for 1.5 years and sat in only 5-7
> circles but the evaluations DO consider these elements.

(snip)

>...I have seen first hand that the Arts, Service, Bearing, Wisdom,
> Maturity, and Knowledge are all Primary Conversation Points along with
> Combat.  Some White Scarves are more adamant than others on these issues
> but that just adds diversity and flavour.

I understand, my good friend, that as you state the Scarve's circle does
look for a well rounded candidate.  But as is the case even with the
peerage circles, in the end it is the decision of the Crown whether the
candidate is worthy of the award (at least in Ansteorra).  Believe me
when I say that the Crown is _very_ cognizant of the fact that they are
bestowing a grant level award, and that fact _does_ determine whether or
not a candidate is found worthy.  Crowns have been quite thouroughly
roasted for simply the appearance that they may have forgotten the
distinction.  There are several cases where people have had the scarf
awarded who would not have received a peerage, and quite rightly
so....the scarf is a Grant not a Peerage and should not have to meet the
same scrutiny.  That is not to say that this award may or may not (in
the eyes of the people on the throne) carry prestige and acclaim beyond
its precedence, and thus candidates might be more closely checked than
for other awards of the same precedence. This is the case with many
awards, such as Ansteorra's Lion.  The Lion carries no precedence at
all, yet it is one of, if not the, most carefully selected and prized
awards in our Kingdom.

Graf Galen Kirchenbauer

--
Galen W. or Rebecca Bevel