ANST - Schlager (sp)...

jhartel jhartel at net-link.net
Mon Jun 15 12:31:29 PDT 1998

> His Excellency, Master Aelfred of Chester, Baron, Pelican, is a resident of
> Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago) in the Midrealm. He was admitted to the OP largely
> for his work in making rapier combat a viable entity in the Midrealm.

While rapier combat is up and coming in the Mid-Realm they do not have
White Scarves.  From the rapier combatants we have spoken to they do not
feel that it will happen for a very long time.  Another interesting
twist is that there are no foils or epees allowed in rapier combat up
here, it is all schlager (sp).  "Most" of the armour requirements are
the same except one must wear a rigid gorget under their mask and the
impenatrable material underneath the armpits must come down almost to
the elbow.  No sweats or stretchy fabric can be exposed, so fencing in
tights or knee high stockings.  Eldred finds it funny that they still
punch test with a foil when the only blade allowable to fight with is a
schlager.  Their authorization process is also more time-consuming and
stringent.  They authorize by styles.  1)Schlager only  2)Schlager
w/non-rigid parry..cloak 3)Schlager w/ rigid parry...buckler
4)Case(means 2 schlagers).

Anyway, Just a brief rambling on rapier combat in the Mid-Realm.

BTW Eldred will be attempting to authorize for all the styles tomorrow
night.

Moriel*** and Eldred