ANST - Weapons & Tourneys (Was White Scarves as Peers?)

Talen von Marienburg talen at microtutors.com
Tue Jun 16 10:46:05 PDT 1998

Don Tivar wrote in part:
"As for the quote from Corpora, I suppose that depends on how you define
"the basic weapons of tournament combat". *I* would interpret that as
broadsword and shield, however."

__________________________

In the 12th - 14th Centuries the weapon of the tournament was the lance.
The weapon of the melee was primarily the sword, and usually only the edge.
Later on mass weapons & polearms became more common in melee, but better
armor did too.  The weapons of war were obviously a bit more varied :-)

On the subject of "tournaments", though, most tournaments were not fought to
the death.  Occasionally people died, but usually you just knocked them off
their horse or beat your them into submission <BG>.  Why is it that SCA
tourneys are primarily to the "death"?  It seems that acknowledgment of a
"good" blow to the vital regions would suffice as "beat to submission",
perhaps kneeling and offering your weapon to your opponent after the fight
to let the spectators know who "won".  Why do we "die"?  And why are we back
in the next round?  (I got better, just a flesh wound!)

Just some random thoughts :-)

Talen
---------
Centurion Talen von Marienburg