ANST - Dying on the field (Was Weapons & Tourneys)

IagoAH at aol.com IagoAH at aol.com
Tue Jun 16 12:25:51 PDT 1998

In a message dated 6/16/98 12:51:53 PM, Centurian Talen wrote:
(Interesting explanation of "basic tourney weapons" snipped:
> Why do we "die"?  And why are we back
> in the next round?  (I got better, just a flesh wound!)

a) Because it is part of the fun of the game for many of us.
b) If you took a broad sword and smacked me on the noggin while I was wearing
a helmet I bet I'd fall down, even if you didn't kill me.
c) We are better the next round because if someone drives here (Stargate) or
some other end of the kingdom (say Bonwicke) and is eliminated after one fight
(not round) it would kind of suck rocks, so we let them get up again and have
at least one more try (usually).

When I fought my first list nearly eight years ago, I snuck in a shot on a
much better opponent (he since has paid me back in spades).  It would have
taken something away from that experience had he just said good, and walked
off the field.  That is probably the main reason I usually fall when killed.

My point is that this is supposed to be fun, and dying well is part of the fun
for some of us.  If you want to drop to a knee and surrender to your opponent,
go ahead.  Anyone who complains can get bent.

Iago (who often has the opportunity to practice dying on the field)