ANST - Dying on the field (Was Weapons & Tourneys)

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 16 16:09:47 PDT 1998

 Iago wrote:
> When I fought my first list nearly eight years ago, I snuck in a shot on a
> much better opponent (he since has paid me back in spades).  It would have
> taken something away from that experience had he just said good, and walked
> off the field.  That is probably the main reason I usually fall when killed.
>
> My point is that this is supposed to be fun, and dying well is part of the fun
> for some of us.  If you want to drop to a knee and surrender to your opponent,
> go ahead.  Anyone who complains can get bent.

I tend to agree....when I made my very first tourney kill, it felt like I was in a slow
motion movie!!  I can still see it in my head, as everything distilled down to that
one perfect second.  I could see the fibers in his doublet, the arc in my blade as
it hit right where I wanted, the look in his eyes when I hit him, and his gallant salute
to me as he went down............
Wouldn't trade that for all the world!  It's for those perfect moments we play this
magnificent game.  Nothing taking away from those who choose not to "die",
but for those of us who enjoy this as a "bloodless" blood-sport, it sort of takes
the mickey out of it.

Baroness Caterina (getting ready to fight once again! and can hardly wait)