ANST - White Scarves as Peers?

j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu
Tue Jun 16 21:03:03 PDT 1998

Concerning my earlier post on qualities looked for in a white scarf
candidate :

My mention of "qualified to judge" was just that.  I have and will
continue to do so.  I would not presume to be qualified to judge a
squire's fighting expertise nor an artisan's craft that I personally was
not very familiar with.  However, the peerage qualities are different.
As a white scarf, I am concerned with not only my own expectations, but
those of the crown, the kingdom, and the rapier community.

I have asked people of all stations, What is a white scarf to them?  What
ideals do they expect?  I have been surprised occasionally at some of the
answers, but it's something I feel I have to do.  The day I decide I know
all the answers, is the day I better quit.  I may expect much of myself,
my fellow scarves, and our candidates, but I expect at least that from a
peer.  We may not aspire to peerage, but peerage should inspire us.  You
are our role models.

				Don Ansgar