ANST - Re: ansteorra V1 #1429

Lenny Zimmermann zarlor at acm.org
Wed Jun 17 09:45:09 PDT 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:39:58 -0500, Donal wrote, and Daniel de
Lincolia concurred earlier that:

>Lionardo wrote:
>> Of course a Crown COULD always just confer a simple Patent
>> of Arms granting, effectively, a peerage without belonging to a
>> specific circle.
>No longer true. By Corpora, a Patent now may only be given with
>elevation to one of the peerages, or OPTIONALLY, the so-called "Royal
>Peerages".

Doh! I knew that. Not sure why it just didn't hit me when writing my
last post! Question, though. You stated "No longer true." Was it
possible for a Crown to grant a "naked Patent" at one time? Does
anyone know why this might have been revoked?

And beyond all of that, I still wonder what others might think of the
use of a naked Patent. Would that be an acceptable method, if such a
thing were to be allowed, to recognize those considered as Peers who
do not otherwise fit nicely into the current Patent bestowing Orders?

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)
zarlor at acm.org