ANST - Re: ansteorra V1 #1429

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 17 10:35:53 PDT 1998

Lenny Zimmermann wrote:

> Doh! I knew that. Not sure why it just didn't hit me when writing my
> last post! Question, though. You stated "No longer true." Was it
> possible for a Crown to grant a "naked Patent" at one time? Does
> anyone know why this might have been revoked?
>

> Honos Servio,
> Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg

Pure speculation on my part here, but I wonder if it wasn't to sort of
help provide a check on the Crown.  In this kingdom at least, the Crown
can make a peer even over the objection of the relevant circle, as long
as they consulted them first.  In practise however, it always causes a
lot of grief whenever a Crown elevates someone against the circles
wishes and most Crowns are reluctant to do so.  In the case of a naked
patent, there is no circle to be consulted, so a Crown could easily drop
peerages on whomsoever they pleased, with no
consultation/advice/whatever sought.  Dunno if this had anything at all
to do with the decision, just musing........

Graf Galen Kirchenbauer

--
Galen W. or Rebecca Bevel
galenbv at ix.netcom.com