ANST - Dying on the field (Was Weapons & Tourneys)

SCOTT A WAGGONER maynedelacroix at juno.com
Wed Jun 17 10:39:40 PDT 1998

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:43:00 -0500 (CDT) Angela Bellavance
<bellavan at rice.edu> writes:
>On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Keith Hood wrote:
>> If you're going to just yield, do it with proper period language and
>> gestures.
>
>Since I am new to fighting, may I ask: What is the proper period
>language
>and gestures?
>
>- Angela
>_______
>Angela Bellavance bellavan at rice.edu

Well, I don't think there is an "official" yeilding ritual, but what I
usually see is a case like this:

Sir Helmringer takes the leg and sheild arm of Lord Ouch.  Sir H., being
the chivarous person he is,  looks at Lord O. ( on his knees) and asks
"Would you care to yeild" .
Lord O. is tired, thirsty, and cant fight single sword from his knees
anyway replies with "My lord knight, you have bested me in combat and
proven that your mastery of arms is greater than mine. Today I yeild to
you, but I shall learn from my mistakes and when we meet again I shall be
a much tougher adersary" (or some stuff like that). Then Lord O hands Sir
H his weapon hilt first.

That makes for much funner and more impressive scene than Lord Ouch
saying "Whoo-eee, Bubba!!! You shore can smack a noggin!! Lets go get a
beer"

Scott Waggoner
Mayne de la Croix --- The original MiB
Gate's Edge Canton, Barony of  Stargate,  Ansteorra