ANST - Finding what you are looking for

Mararede at aol.com Mararede at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 14:31:47 PDT 1998

I said I wouldn't do this; I lied. I find that I have something to add to the
current discussion about Joel Schumacher's comments; for whatever it is worth:

1. In or out of period, in and out of this Game, knighthood is a life-time
title.

2. I have found that I usually find what I am looking for-- If I expect to
find back-biting and nasty gossip, I can. If a want the company of good people
at a good bardic circle, I can find it. Likewise filk and bawdy. If I go
expecting to have a good time, I can. If I am stand-offish and don't speak, I
receive same.

3. As someone else said, tacky people are everywhere. I have been in PTO's,
Friends of the Library, church groups. People are people, and people are
human.

4. I firmly believe that people get the government they deserve. If you don't
like it, change it. The only way to do that is to join the organization and
participate.

5. If you don't like trash, don't do trash. If it's not honourable or
chivalrous, don't say it. Or at least don't say it where people can hear. If
you must blow off steam, do it in private. And remember the thing about tent
walls. . . . One of the worst experiences of my life was at an event where I
went to the privy and overheard someone in a tent screaming about why they
should not have made "that ***** a Laurel".

6. I may not agree with your opinions, but (to paraphrase), I will fight to
the death to defend your right to have and express them.

This horse is dead; I'll not beat it anymore.
                                                    Mara (Barony of Elfsea)