ANST - Motto for Baroness Caterina

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Thu Jun 18 23:56:18 PDT 1998

Baroness Caterina is trying to chose between the following mottos:
>"black of heart, light of spirit"
>"create beauty, yet celebrate darkness"
>"the devil made me do it"

The Latin would be:

>"black of heart, light of spirit"
Cor Nigrum, Spiritus Levis

>"create beauty, yet celebrate darkness"
Pulchritudem Crea, Tamen Tenebras Celebra

>"the devil made me do it"
Diabolus Me Facibant Id Agere.

GLOSSARY
niger, nigra, nigrum (adjective) "black, of bad character"

cor, cordis (3rd declension neuter noun) "heart" [but also "mind,
judgement, the seat of feelings"]

levis, leve (adjective) "light, mild, easygoing, fickle"

spiritus, spiritus (4th declension maculine noun) "spirit, breath, life,
character, courage"

creo, creare, creavi, creatum (1st conjugation verb) "to create, produce,
cause, beget, bear"
crea (present tense singular imperative) "[you] create!"

pulchritudo, pulchritudinis (3rd declension feminine noun) "beauty,
excellence, atrractiveness"
pulchritudem (accusative singular case, used as object of verb)

tamen (conjugation) "yet"

celebro, celebrare, celebravi, celebratum (1st conjugation verb) "to visit
in crowds, publicize, advertise, honor, celebrate, glorify, to cause to
resound"
celebra (present tense singular imperative) "[you] celebrate!"

tenebrae, tenebrarum (1st declension plural noun) "darkness, shadows,
night, the underworld, death, obscurity, ignorance"

diabolus, diaboli (2nd declension masculine noun) "devil"

Satanas, Satan (masculine proper noun) Satan

facio, facere, faci, factum (3rd conjugation verb) "to make, to cause, to
bring about"

me (1st person accusative case pronoun) "me"

ago, agere, egi, actum (3rd conjugation verb) "to do, drive, lead, conduct,
steal, act, perform, accuse, impeach, practice"

is, ea, id (3rd person demonstrative pronoun) "he/she/it"
id (accusative singular of id) "it"

cc: Stefan li Rous for his Florilegium Files
Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)