ANST - Re: ansteorra V1 #1436

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Jun 19 07:06:57 PDT 1998

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Clarence & Lynn Bell <lynnb at wtrt.net> wrote:
> To all care to listen to an old Celtic Proverb paraphrased:
>
>     SCA, LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

What evidence do you have on the source of the saying?  I've heard of
it only as shouted at protesters in the 1960s.  It basically meant
"shut up or get out", from what I understand.  I dislike it applied
then and I dislike it applied here ...

> If you don"t have a heart and mind open enough to embrace us
> "Complete as we are" and "deal" with what ever occurs as we all do

... because one can like the general idea but want to fix some parts,
and the choices shouldn't be silence or exile.

> or at least make a sincere attempt to understand us and be one of
> us, then why waste your time with us at all.

I saw no evidence that the original writer (Mr. Schumacher from
Dallas, I think) wasn't sincere in attempting to understand.  He
wouldn't have written so much if he wasn't (or he would have just been
writing "you stupid meaneyheads", a la Tadhg Liath).

> "Love the dream then live it,"

Let's not start a discussion on "The Dream" (TM)!

Now, for *my* 60's paraphrase: "I have a dream ... that people won't
quote an ENTIRE 1200 LINE DIGEST just to make a 30 line response!".
I gotta suggest filter code to Pug.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;