ANST - Re: ANST-A Different Motto Story

Aslyn Crystyn aslyn at onramp.net
Sat Jun 20 03:48:07 PDT 1998

> Greetings!

While this is not a *typical* motto response, it's a great story that has a
motto in it.  As many have come to know....it's a patented Aslyn story. While it
is not *my* motto, it should be someone's.  Read on, dear friends:

Once upon a time in the far off, mystical land of Denton, there was a group of
like minded individuals holding a fighter practice in one of those fabled sylvan
parks of fair Denton (much unlike fair Verona).  Upon the field there stood a
brave display of heraldic prowress...one round shield, it was noted, had a row
of big, fluffy pink pom-poms lining the edge of the shield (much like George
Hamilton's hat in Zorro, the Gay Blade).  My,  how they fluttered in the wind
that day.  I call this  to your attention, gentle reader, because it also caught
the attention of the local newpaper, who sent its best, crack Fashion Reporter
to the scene of the event.  The fashion reporter, quick to assess the potential
of the situation, and quick to dismiss the far more intriguing events
surrounding her (i.e., fighting, etc.), reviewed the fighter practice scene with
a keen eye turned to style and haute couture.  She noted the bold color schemes
of the ladies' dresses...the clear, definitive designs found on shields and
tabards in *smashing* Fall colors...the effective use of string in
bodices.....and then...the piece de resistance....she opined this memorable
motto:

         "Cutting a swath of color, texture and style across the
battlefield...."

I tell you truly, friends.   There are days when I am at a tourney, and if the
wind is *just* right...I envision those pom-poms fluttering in the wind...and, I
notice the *fashionable* members of our Kingdom (and you *know* who you are).
So, remember...the next time *you* are at an event, ask yourself:  *am* I
cutting a swath of color, texture and style across the battlefield? If so, swath
on.

Well, there you have it.  Education and entertainment all rolled up into one.
This will most likely be my one and only post to this list.  I've just been
laughing about this story for years, and I thought from the majority of what
I've been reading lately, ya'll could use a laugh, too.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Aslyn