ANST - Barbarians at the gates?!

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Sat Jun 20 09:52:02 PDT 1998

On 20 Jun 98, at 12:04, PKieferjr at aol.com wrote:

> I suspected that you weren't making this up.

if memory serves, i was reading a analysis of the final conquests leading up to the fall
of Baghdad by the mongols ... europe and the middle east had moderate refuge inside
their city walls util the mongols chinese conquests added the worlds finest siege
engineers to the ranks of the armies.

one fact often overlooked in analysing the power of the mongol military machine is the
same things that allowed us to blitz iraq in the last war ... combined units, exceptional
integration of forces, coordinated operations, technical innovation, a long range
communications network, superior and flexible tactics designed for the various
enemies they faced ...

one of my great loves during the university phase and afterwards was military history
(even arrainged to take the military history course in the ROTC department without
being one ... the cadets really enjoyed the long haired, bearded, barefoot, bicycle-
toting, "hippy" that attended their classes with their leader's blessings ... and ace'd the
courses)

needless to say, also have more than a passing interest in the mogol empire, culture,
and military

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves