ANST - White Scarves as Peers? -Reply

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Sat Jun 20 14:06:14 PDT 1998

On 15 Jun 98,, Dan Roberts wrote:

> The person (I believe it was from Midrealm) was given a Laurel due to an
> in depth study of period fencing forms. Ivan Ezhov Ivan the Hedgehog

The important point here is that the Laurels and Pelicans given were given for
A&S or for service. The standard things such peerages are given for. While
that "extra" component for the KSCA is fighting skill, for the Laurel it is A&S.
The rapier Laurels were given for research, metalwork, costuming and other
A&S activities, not rapier fighting skill. As far as I can see this is no aberration
at all.

The KSCA and the WS are instrumental in guiding and developing marshal
forms. We have years of experience with safety and playability issues. We
cannot expect the Laurels to have practiced judgment in those areas as it is not
a requirement for their order. If the Laurel became the place to put "peer level
rapier fighters" then either that body would not be the guiding force for rapier
or that guidance would be highly suspect. I doubt the Laurels want such a job
just as the WS do not want to suddenly put in charge of A&S for the kingdom.

The important thing to remember here is that the Laurel, Chiv and WS are all
working orders with jobs to do. If you supersede the WS with a rapier peerage,
you must be sure the structure will allow the members to do their job.

Don Dore

Don Dore