ANST - Re: Ex-Duke Angus-perceptions of SCA

Raymond Catz scurlock at ies.net
Sat Jun 20 14:41:03 PDT 1998

I just finished a week of training at the National Advocacy Center in South
Carolina, and had a disturbing experience there.

The members of my group were introducing themselves, and we were talking
about our hobbies.  When I told the group that my hobby was the study of
swordsmanship, our training instructor asked me if I was in the SCA.  He
seemed uncomfortable with my affirmative response, so I let the matter
drop.

Later, while we were eating some of that yellow barbecue they make over
there, I said, "I have to ask, how did you know to ask me about the SCA?"
It turned out that he was the guy who prosecuted Angus and Haagar (sp?) for
murder.  Suffice to say that the guy had a fairly negative view of the SCA,
and I had to work extra hard this week.

You just never know who you're gonna meet.

				Jeremy