ANST - Re: Ex-Duke Angus-perceptions of SCA

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Sat Jun 20 15:15:19 PDT 1998

On 20 Jun 98, at 16:41, Raymond Catz wrote:

> I just finished a week of training at the National Advocacy Center in
> South Carolina, and had a disturbing experience there. ....

sighhh ... like any *any* group, especially those that have less "centric" orientation,
we attract a certain cross-section of society - and like *all* similar cross sections
there is good, bad, and indifferent in the membership ... unfortunately the nature of the
organization, being out of the norm so to speak becomes suspect because of the
negative more than others.  bet that the actual statistics would come out in our favor,
but still those outside would view the group as a whole base on their bias ... have seen
same in other groups.   unfortunately it's always too easy to scapegoat the things,
organizations,  and people that are different from you.

let's see in this ones case, on an ongoing basis, i get the "SCA" bia's, the "biker"
bias, the "techno-geek" bias, the "pagan / occult" bias, the "long haired hippy freak
bia's", "un-married, hetero white male" bias ("he must be gay ...") and beginning
recently detecting the unwarranted "age" bias (a very well preserved 41 ...),  ... quite
annoying.  pity that the culture is so focused on applying labels and stuffing people /
things / organizations into small, quantifiable box's ...

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves