Why Calontir doesn't Allow Rapier Fighting was Re: ANST - White Scarves as Peers?

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 21 13:22:01 PDT 1998

> Kerry & Tonda Pratt wrote:
>   The sign that they had posted at the troll stated
> > that the use of live steel weapons for demonstrations or competitions was
> > illegal in the state of Missourri.  This was the justification that they are
> > presently using for not allowing rapier combat.  This may or may not just be
> > an excuse for keeping the weapons banned.
>
> Tegan then wrote:
> If this is banned by law does this mean that fencing as a sport cannot
> be done in Missourri? I had heard  laws forbiding dueling used as
> justifacation for not having rapier in some places but I never got an
> explanation for why fencing was then allowed in these areas.

My two cents worth......Having been raised in Kansas, and living there until
the age of 22, I can tell you that "in general" people up there can't stand
change.  I nearly dropped dead from shock when I found out they finally
legalized dog tracks up there!!  Horse racing was shot down for years there
(even longer than in Texas), because they were afraid of "Mob Control" of
the tracks.  Their attitudes don't appear to have changed all that much on
a fundamental level since then. I never even heard of the SCA when I lived there,
never heard anything on the news, or in a paper.  It may be that the groups
back in 1978 - 1982 were too scattered to come into contact with.  Who knows?!

However, I do recall that fencing was done on a Collegiate level, although
I don't remember seeing any fencing schools, or hearing much about fencing

in general other than when I lived in Kansas City.

HE Caterina
Bryn Gwlad