Why Calontir doesn't Allow Rapier Fighting was Re: ANST - White Scarves as Peers?

Raymond Catz scurlock at ies.net
Sun Jun 21 11:50:45 PDT 1998

> If this is banned by law does this mean that fencing as a sport cannot
> be done in Missourri? I had heard  laws forbiding dueling used as
> justifacation for not having rapier in some places but I never got an
> explanation for why fencing was then allowed in these areas.
> Tegan

A few years ago, I did the research on this for then-King Patrick Michael,
in preparation for a meeting with the powers that be in Meridies.  Legally,
this was a crock, and was just a poorly thought out excuse for banning
period fencing.  I can assure you that the law of the State of Missouri
does not forbid exhibitions with live steel, although it is possible that
there may be some poorly written local ordinances to contend with.  In any
case, I briefly attended the University of Missouri, and used to watch
their fencing club practice.  Fencing is not illegal in this state, and the
equipment is regarded as either sporting or theatrical gear.  I make it a
practice not to trust any layman when he tells me what the law is,
especially when he has an axe to grind.

					Jeremy