Why Calontir doesn't Allow Rapier Fighting was Re: ANST - White Scarves as <

Raymond Catz scurlock at ies.net
Sun Jun 21 16:33:36 PDT 1998

> Let me also point out that FENCING was not what was illegal. DUELLING was

> supposedly illegal and...get ready for this, it's SCA heresy...we do not
duel.

The truth is that fencing gear, as sporting gear is legal in all 50 states.
 And mock duelling, as a sport, is also legal.  Duelling generally requires
deadly weapons as well as an intent to injure or kill.  All of the states
have repealed their anti-duelling statutes and allowed them to be subsumed
by their assault and murder laws.  Tennessee and one or two other states
still have a constitutional provision that relates to the taking of public
office.  (You still have to swear that you have never fought a duel.)

However, the mock broadsword currently in use in the SCA is a club, and is
illegal in all 50 states.  Fencing equipment is something that I should
never have to worry about in terms of breaking the law.  But the mock
broadsword is, as a matter of law a prohibited weapon, although if you can
explain to a judge that it is really intended as sporting equipment,
chances are that you will be acquitted.  Unless, of course, your judge
chooses not to believe you.  The mopes who are running the kingdom of
Calontir have it exactly backwards.

					Jeremy