Why Calontir doesn't Allow Rapier Fighting was Re: ANST - White Scarves as <

Raymond Catz scurlock at ies.net
Sun Jun 21 20:40:30 PDT 1998

> Jeremy,
>
> Just out of curiosity, how would something like the practise sword used
> in kendo (bo-ken? is that it?) be treated under Texas law?  I am
> speaking about the training weapon made from split cane/bamboo, bound
> together with cord.  Would that be classed as a club, or some other type
> of weapon, or as sporting equipment?  Seems if that counts as sporting
> equipment, our rattan swords should be the same, and vice versa....
>

> Galen K.

These would ordinarily be classified as sporting equipment.  The SCA sword
is theoretically different because it so closely fits the definition of the
term "club" in the statute.  The objects thayt you describe are not
specifically prohibited.  My only point in all of this was simply that, if
you are going around with a SCA stick in your car, you are theoretically
subject to arrest, whereas you are exposed far less if you are transporting
fencing gear.  Although, I've heard stories about this too.  The bottom
line here is that if you happen to be carrying something that looks like it
is covered by the statute, then you are subject to arrest, and the sporting
equipment thing is an affirmative defense useful only with the prosecutors
after you have been booked and made bail.

						Jeremy