ANST - Re: SR - Awards, was Principality???? (long)

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 23 09:37:37 PDT 1998

Donal wrote:

> To quote you, almost correct. The Baronial Service Orders carry an AoA
> "at the pleasure of the Crown", in all cases; wording on the other
> issue differs from Order to Order, but always is the implication that
> the Order is given with the permission of the Crown, whether explicit
> or implied, and that the Crown can refuse to allow the award to be
> given. By _tradition_, said right of refusal is never invoked; by
> _law_, it nevertheless exists.  My original comment had to do only with
> principality awards; however, the Baronial Service Orders are treated
> the same way as hypothetical Principality orders would be. The Charter
> of each Order, signed by the granting Crown, includes the
> aforementioned delegation of authority from the Crown to Their
> representatives to give an armigerous award on their own hook, as it
> were, while also containing a reminder that such authority derives
> solely _from_ the Crown.

As you said, "explicit or implied"! The original Charter for the Baronial
Service Order may be signed by the Crown, and they are usually
advised of the award, *but*  _they_aren't the ones who sign the
individual scrolls.....that's partly what I was driving at.  From what I have
experienced in this Kingdom, the Crown has *traditionally* left the
subject of BSO's to the Baron/essess involved.  The only experience I've
had with non-armigerous orders, was when Jeremy and I had our Herald
help us with the "herald-speak" for the Muse, Marlet and Cross Fleury.
The only thing we had to worry about with those was getting the wording
right, and making sure they didn't conflict with anything.
As far as the Crown interfering with the bestowal of a BSO, in my opinion
it would be far more deleterious to the Crown than anything else.  It's hard
enough for them to keep up with all the award recommendations, but to
"pull rank" as it were, and refuse a BSO would surpass the bounds of good
jugement (IMHO).  They are not given lightly by the Landeds, or by the other

members of the Order, since they all know that it (may) entail the bestowal
of AoA rank.
I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a radical now!  Oh well!!  Je suis le tenebreux..........
HE Caterina