ANST - Re: SR - Awards, was Principality???? (long)

Laury Torrence J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 23 16:20:04 PDT 1998

Ulf wrote:
> A Baronial Service Award is given by the Crown.  Period.  It may be at
> the behest of the landed nobility for the branch in question, or it may
> be the result of recommendations from the branch's populace.  It is the
> equivalent to a Sable Comet, though carrying slightly higher precedence.
>  It outranks an AOA.
> As such, it can never be considered the sole domain of the Landed
> Nobility.  They hold the lands in fief for the Crown, and these service
> awards recognize the efforts of individuals from those territories.  The
> awards mark the creation of an Order devoted to serving one of the
> Crown's baronies, not just a Baron or Baroness.

OKAY!  Look, I NEVER said the Crown didn't have some connection!
I *merely* pointed out that (at least with OUR BSO) the Crown DOES
NOT SIGN THE SCROLL!!!!  JEEEEZZZZ!!  The Territorials sign it.
The Crown is advised of the choice, at the same time recommendations
for other awards are sent to the Crown for approval.  I never said it was
their "sole domain", what I said was that in MY experience, the Crown
"generally" left that sort of thing to their Landeds....Considering the fact
that WE are the ones who deal with those people on a more intimate
basis than the Crown.  We tend to be a *lot* more selective than apparently
YOU think about who gets a BSO here....past actions count for a lot.  We
aren't going to be allowed by the rest of the members of the order to make
someone who's a complete jerk!  Not to mention the fact that we only make
so many members of the order per year,  the waiting list is quite long, and
those folks who are made members, usually have other awards *before* we
can take them into the BSO.
Yeah that *was* me at the radicals meeting.......I was the one leading the
revolt for those of us who like to keep our knickers out of a twist!! If there
is one thing that gets me riled is Heralds without a *good* cause. Grrrrrrr.......

HE Caterina
je suis le tenebreux