ANST - Motto for Timo

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Jun 24 22:05:21 PDT 1998

Timo asked:
>OK, Mistress Gunnora, while youre at it, heres my motto....
>Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

There are a couple of words meaning "overcome" suggested below, select the
one which has the best nuance for your meaning.  I suggest:

Compone! Accomoda! Supera!

This phrasing gives the imperative or command forms of the verbs.

However, most of the Latin mottos I've seen tend to use the infinitive
forms - rather than "Improvise!  Adapt! Overcome!" as a command it would be
"To Improvise, To Adapt, To Overcome" -- this second form of the phrase
would be:

Componere, Accomodare, Superare.

GLOSSARY
* compono, componere, composui, compositum (3rd conjugation verb) "to
improvise, construct, compose, build, write, invent, concoct, contrive" --
compone (singular imperative case) "you improvise!"
* accomodo, accomodare, accomodavi, accomodatum (1st conjugation verb) "to
adjust, adapt, apply" -- accomoda  (singular imperative case) "you adapt!"
* supero, superare, superavi, superatum  (1st conjugation verb) "to go
over, rise above, surpass, overcome, vanquish" -- supera  (singular
imperative case) "you overcome!"
* vinco, vincere, vinci, victum (3rd conjugation verb) "to conquer,
vanquish, surpass, excel, prevail, succeed" -- vince (singular imperative
case) "you overcome!"

cc: Stefan li Rous for his Florilegium Files

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)