ANST - Beware the Cookie Monster!

Jax jax at onr.com
Fri Jun 26 12:49:02 PDT 1998

Greetings to the List:

In a previous thread, Donal stated:

>>The exception is this: If
>>all a person cares about is the cookies that can be had for "volunteer
>>work", if they reserve their passion for shiny danglies and save none
>>for the satisfaction of getting a job done - no matter what it is -
>>then no, I don't care to work with them.

To which Sir Deitrich replied:

>Well, I am sad that because of a persons desire for an award you won't
>consider them for office.  I think this is unwise especially considering the
>fact that personal motivations like awards are some of the most powerful
>performance enhancers.

And now I'd like to chime in with my "me too!" and then some. I confess
that this may just be another hobgoblin of my little mind, but this whole
'I work only for the good of the Society' riff just drives me apes**t. I
mean, we go to *great* lengths to make courts spectacular, to create the
proper formal ambience, then enters the Great Man himself who has his
Herald summon a member of the populace in a noble voice, the gentle moves
forward and kneels before his ruler and is awarded the Golden Whatsit
with great ceremony and words of praise... In short, we do everything in
our power to emphasize that the Golden Whatsit is a valuable thing (For
hours! At every single event!)... and then we insist that people *not
value* it. We demonstrate over and over how important it is, and then
insist that all consider it unimportant. And if, in spite of our
insistence someone does consider it important, then By God he is unworthy
of it!

Gee, are we sending mixed messages here? Does any one else consider this
this a little puzzling? I mean, if awards are Good Things, why am I not
allowed to want them? And if wanting them is a Bad Thing, why not
eliminate all forms of recognition from the Society? Then we'd all be
pure.

Personally, I want some awards. I want to get them by deserving them. And
in order to deserve them, I'll have to work, study, practice, do
research, learn, try things I've never tried before... in other words,
grow. Become more than I am. Grow. I am entirely willing to do this. I am
decidedly *not* willing to put on a coy little act about it. <Hurumph!
Mutter mutter mutter...>

Respectfully,
-Erik Wulfriksson-
Barony of Bryn Gwlad

PS Sorry for being a little grumpy. The glare from this inconsistancy is
giving me a headache.