ANST - Re: An annoyance that needs to end!

Alexis drwise at swbell.net
Sun Jun 28 11:55:37 PDT 1998

Ann Onnymous wrote:

> I second the opinion, Mayne... Othar, what a disappointment you are...
>
> and you will notice that I intentionally included the previous
> messages.... some of us don't remember to what the current message was
> referring to, or don't have someone to show us how to us the computer in
> a timely manner to suit you Othar...

[Snip}

Greetings from Sir Alexis LaBouche:

While some might take exception to Lord Othar's tone, I would suggest
that everyone please stop to think whether your intended post might be
sent privately rather than through a general reply.  Over the last
several weeks there have been a number of people who have removed
themselves from the list due to the nature, and number of posts.  In
reviewing the last three hundred posts or so, I would estimate that at
least two thirds of them are basically private responses.  As a number
of people are limited on time to review the list, or receive it at work,
or have providers that limit their mailbox size, I think it is simple
courtesy not to send out posts ad infinitum on personal private matters
that are only minimally related to the SCA.  This would be akin to
shouting out your conversation in a crowded room.  While the topic is
obviously of interest to you, most of the time other people don't
appreciate it.  I know everyone has different motivations for getting on
the list, but please remember that if your post is in the nature of
banter back and forth between two people, then it should probably be
handled that way.  I hope will take this in the spirit it is meant.

Alexis

p.s. Othar's a pretty good guy, even if a bit zealous at times.