ANST - Re: Palatine Baronies

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Jun 28 15:37:20 PDT 1998

    Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 11:39:00 -0400 (EDT)
    From: ALBAN at delphi.com

> >Pug (pug at pug.net) wrote:
> >> What's a Palantine Baron/ess?
> >. . . .THere are a few places where the baron/ess are chosen by standard
> >tournament combat, just like royalty.  Far West is one -- that's the
> >group in Korea (I don't know if they include Japan or no).  I dimly
> >recall Board policy being that it should be only for really isolated
> >groups.  I don't know why, if that's so -- to give the heavy fighters a
> >chance to swing a stick and win *something*?

>From what I heard, certain extremely isolated baronies, ones in which
the inhabitants are so far away from the mainland that they neither
get visits from Crown or Coronet nor get the chance to get to the
mainland and fight in Crown Tourneys, were allowed by the Board to
have a small version of Crown Tourneys. In other words, a Palatine
Barony is sort of a pocket-sized version of a kingdom: its members
fight for a barony, rather than a kingdom or principality. - But I
also hear one or two Palatine Baronies have alternate Tourneys; they
switch off every six months between fighting tourneys and
arts&sciences competitions. . .

(There was one such thing done many, many years ago in the West? or
one of its principalities?, called the "Six-fold Tourney", which
allowed both partners to enter. There was a short fighting tourney, a
chess tourney, a heraldry test, and other items. This was a one-time
trial, specially approved by the Board.  This might be the inspiration
for the Palatine Baronies. .. )

Alban

[DdL adds: I think Palatine Baronies are older than the Mists's trial
run with a not-entirely-fighting tourney.  Someone else implied that
Palatine Baronies can give armigerous awards on their own.  I don't
think so -- the Corpora requirement would apply to them as much as any
other barony.]