ANST - Was That Award Recommendation Honest and Good?

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Sun Jun 28 18:13:41 PDT 1998

We've been discussing award recommendations and whether or not recs are
occasionally sent in for undeserving folk --

First, don't assume that the Crown is stupid. (Remember, even if the member
of the pair who gets hit in the head with big sticks regularly has only a
buzzing noise where the brain should be, they have a Consort who presumably
is not drain-bramaged.  That's why we give them Consorts!)  Generally, if
the Crown gets an award recommendation, they will double-check with the
local baron/ess and/or seneschal to see if they concur with the
recommendation, or if perhaps a different award for that person is more
appropriate.  Getting several recommendations from a variety of sources is
more credible than just getting an isolated one from one person.

Second, look at the award.  The Crown pretty much will give an AoA-level
award with minimal double-checking, but as a kingdom we expect those who
are candidates for grant-level awards to be somewhat known across the
kingdom, at least known outside of their immediate local area.  So, for
Grant-level awards, the Crown is even more likely to check with others to
confirm whether they should act upon recommendations or not.

Of course, for Peerages, the Crown is *required* to consult with the
Peerage Circle in question.  This doesn't mean that the Crown has to do
what the Peerage Circle recommends - a Crown can willfully ignore the
opinion of the Circle, even to the point in elevating a candidate against a
unanimous "no" vote (whether they should do so is another can of worms).

Recent Crowns have asked the Laurels Circle to recommend arts awards at all
levels.  This strikes me as a sensible and wise practice -- who is going to
know better about the abilities and travel and displays of up-and-coming
artists than the Laurellate?

Similarly, I believe that the Crown should make a practice of asking the
Knights about fighters deserving of Sable Falcons and Centurion Cloaks, and
asking the Pelicans about possible candidates for the various service
awards, and so on.

But anyone can and should feel free to write in an award recommendation
letter if they feel an award is deserved.  Any letter of recommendation
should spell out the intended recipient's full name, their local group, and
describe in detail *exactly* what it is that this person has been doing
that makes them a candidate for the award you are proposing.  And *anyone*,
from rank newbie to jaded old-timer can make a recommendation!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)