ANST - Question...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Jun 29 05:48:15 PDT 1998

Good Morning,

  I am truly very confused by this, and maybe someone out there can help
  me.

  When one person does something wrong, they are unchivalric and need to
  be taken to task for it. Right?

  People then decide that they are the judge and jury and must bring
  this public as rudely as possible to teach the person a lesson, and
  thus being unchivalric themself. Right?

  I understand that emotions can be wrapped up in it and knee-jerk
  reactions happen, but chivalrous behavior is not about any kind of jerk.

  First, two wrongs don't make anything right. No amount of wrong doings
  can do good. As well, in most cases, the ends will not be enough to
  justify the means. Karma is a heavy burden to carry. Etc.

  Second, how does one properly take someone to task that is behaving
  inappropriately?

  I have always assumed that talking plainly and calmly directly to
  people would work most of the time. When that doesn't work, using
  plain and obvious examples of why it is bad has always worked. There
  are of course those individuals who will do as they will no matter
  what. There is nothing we can do about them except socially ignore
  them until they go away.

    (NOTE: Due to some behaviors this is difficult to do at times. As
     well, this does not include criminal acts, which should be sorted
     out in a court of law.)

  Those people who are students, you can discuss their behavior with
  their master who will usually go about correcting it. Remember that
  the misbehavior of a student is a disgrace to their master. If the
  master is unchivalric enough to not do anything, there are those
  within their Order that will. This goes for all Peerage Orders.

    (NOTE: Make sure to not be a "whining ninny" when you discuss it or
     they are probably going to ignore you.)

  Those people who have "a circle of influence" can use that in their
  favor or abuse it. Those that abuse it will usually end up paying the
  consequences. It can also be used to correct their behavior in a
  similar matter as a master/student relationship.

In Service to something,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase  |  "I know that I will never be politically correct
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   I don't give a damn about my lack of etiquette