ANST - communication skills

Sharon Palkowetz vivaine at flash.net
Mon Jun 29 07:57:36 PDT 1998

Being completely out of the loop, I can only comment on the last two notes i've
seen posted about wording something wrong and miscommunication.

Communication is a skill, not a gene your born with.  Anyone can develop good
people skills.

Since this is a written forum, you have the advantage of being in more control
of what you want to say.  After you write out exactly how you feel, instead of
hitting that SEND button, wait a while and reread. Ask yourself the following
questions:

Am i using negative words?
What am i REALLy trying to convey?
Am i using a condescening tone?
If i were the receiver of this note, how would i feel?
Have i followed up a negative with a positive?
How do I want people to perceive ME ?

The word 'tease' means to 'strip away the flesh'. Correcting someone privatly
carries alot more weight than correcting someone publicly and it will less
likely put them on the defensive. If you think about it, even the words
"correcting someone" conveys a negative meaning.  If you need someone to change
something they have done, bring up good points, suggest the 'alternative' and
then follow up with a positive ending note.  Keep discussion to the issue at
hand and try not to attack the person.  After all, most of the time, your
intentions are not to hurt, but to inform and educate to prevent the issues from
happening again.  I realize it is difficult to remember this all the time, but
as my mom always says " you can catch more bees with honey".

Words are a wonderfully powerful thing.

What you post reflects more on YOU than anyone else.  A smile can always be
conveyed, even in writing.

Vivaine