ANST - Squire/Knight relationship

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Jun 29 08:59:39 PDT 1998

Joe Wolf said something that sounded like:
> In a continuing effort (nods at Pug) to lead the conversation to
> 'greener pastures...'

Thank you.

My thoughts are:

> Is it usual for a Peer to address/cover/train inter-personal skills
> with their student?

Although this is not the drive of the relationship, I think any
relationship that lacks this is in need of re-evaluation from both ends.
The reason I say this is that anytime a master takes a student, the
student will be a reflection on the master. As well, if the student has
a poor example of a master, it will reflect on his progress. (Be it
awards or others willing to help him.)

> Obviously, the greatest body of knowledge to be
> transfered by a Knight is skill at arms - a Laurel conveys their art - a
> Pelican, their work ethic (?)

Pelicans transfer knowledge about work organization. (This covers such
things as knowing when to say no, how to delegate, etc.)

> Is this something that is often discussed
> in the Master/Student relationship at the onset?

Although I think it is something that should be assumed, the
Master/Student should work out *how* it will be addressed when behavior
needs to be modified.

> Or is it assumed that
> the student possesses these skills, and that is why the Master chose to
> instruct them in the first place?

I would never assume that a student possessed such skills. As well,
there is always room for growth. People skills and chilvaric behavior
that even those that do not wish to be a Peer should work on just to get
along day to day.

As someone has said before, one of the reasons that some people take
students is "Boy, this person really needs help".

Ciao,