ANST - Politics, paranoia, poppycock, and piffle

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:27:47 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

I'd like to interrupt everyone's politicking for a moment to discuss
politics.

Lately, I keep seeing missives in which the writers claim to abhor
"politics" and to shun all who would practice same.  Politics--these
missives appear to say--are vile, deceptive practices and just an
altogether, all around Bad Thing^(tm). This is, I think, a somewhat
flawed perspective on at least two levels.

On the first level, we seem to have a definition problem.  Yes,
contextually, I understand that when these writers say "politics," they
are using the word as shorthand for "maneuvering for power and personal
gain."  Such a usage bothers me.  It not only candy-coats the presumed
activity, it belies the virtues of politics in general.

My objection to the candy-coating is that the use of such euphemisms is
tantamount to lying.  If you feel a need to accuse someone of attempting
to manipulate others for the sake of personal gain, you should do so
openly and directly.  Don't circumlocute; just say it.  If you have no
proof, of course, making such statements would be libel, and you should
probably keep *unsupported* accusations to yourself.

My objection to belying the virtues of politics--and thereby overriding
the principal definition of "politics"--is that it makes the business of
politics that much more difficult for the people tasked with the
performance of those duties.  If the Crown, the territorial barons and
baronesses, and the various Ansteorran seneschal(e)s are denied access
to political means, what alternatives do they have for effecting
positive change?  Politics is simply the science of governing.  If they
can't govern, they're nothing but titular space-holders in the _Black
Star_.

On the second level, every time I see a missive claiming to abhor
politics or detest political players, the author *always* has a
political agenda.  If you see a statement like, "We don't like working
with peers because they're too political," your Irony Radar ^(tm) should
sound an immediate alarm. Such an overt statement of hierarchical
prejudice is exactly the sort of underhanded, manipulative politicking
the writer (or speaker) is attempting to condemn.

Frequently, when I hear someone condemning the "politics" of others, the
speaker feels her/himself the target of some injustice.  Either s/he
believes s/he was overlooked for an award or s/he thinks s/he was
unfairly defeated in a bid for an office or s/he believes s/he should
have won a competition s/he lost. "Lady X received the Sable Really Neat
Thing," the reasoning goes,"but she didn't deserve it.  I *did* deserve
it and didn't receive a Sable Really Neat Thing.  Obviously, Lady X
obtained her Sable Really Neat Thing by unsavory means."  Sad.  Such
people are insecure, and paranoia is somewhat more palatable than a
sense of personal inferiority.  (Of course, paranoia and feelings of
inadequacy are neither the only nor the best responses to such a
situation--oops DANGER, TANGENT ALERT!).

Lately, in the Principality discussion on the Southern Regional list, I
have seen a number of anti-Pr writers accuse pro-Pr folk of politics,
usually accompanied by a disclaimer like, "I don't involve myself in
politics."  The disclaimer in such a missive is--as I'm sure many of you
will realize--balderdash (except in those cases where it's merely
poppycock or piffle).  If you are attempting to sway others in a
political discussion, you are guilty of rhetoric and politics.  The fact
that you are attempting to support the status quo does not make your
position any less political or your arguments any less rhetorical.  Does
this mean you've done something bad?  I think not. If--OTOH--you
threatened to shoot, pummel, or otherwise harm someone for disagreeing
with you, you'd be guilty of extortion.  This *would* be a Bad
Thing^(tm), but without recourse to politics and rhetoric, what's left
but brute force?

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, Capitan
Bryn Gwlad