ANST - long distance apprentices (was squire/knight)

RAISYA at aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 14:46:03 PDT 1998

Lord Manfred,

You wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience with situations where a Craft Master defined
the >relationship as "I only teach X!"  Or, when the distance between Master
and >Student precludes any more than momentary instruction or occassional
meetings?

I can't answer the first part of this, but I have several years experience
with the second <G>.  I'm apprenticed to a laurel in the Mid-realm, Mistress
Aleecia, and we only see each other for one week a year, at Pennsic. The rest
of the year, we keep in contact by phone.  I think a long-distance
relationship requires a lot of creativity and a real commitment on both sides,
or it's symbolic only.  Beyond that, she's my cheering section, my mentor, and
one of my best friends.  She doesn't hesitate to compliment me or correct me,
but always with respect.

However, there are many things she can't help me with that a laurel would
normally do, partly because of the distance, partly because of the substantial
differences between Ansteorra and the Middle.  A relationship evolved between
an Ansteorran laurel and me after she offered me some help, and I now have two
laurels, with two very different relationships.  It may not be the answer for
everyone, but I don't think I could be luckier.

Raisya Khorivovna