ANST - Question...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Jun 29 19:49:07 PDT 1998

Bill Osterheim said something that sounded like:
> Perhaps repeated improper behavor should result
> in the loosing of rank? Especially of the Peerages?
>
> Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've actually thought about this lots.

Actually it can happen. It is even stated in Corpora.

Now the problem is that is very difficult to define what is "improper
behavior". It is already the case that the breaking of certain laws
(mundane or Societial) can get you banished, possibly your membership
revoked, inability to hold office, and all sorts of other "nasty
things". When you start making moral judgements though, there is no real
good slate of clear guidelines to go by. (ie. the "Christian right" vs
"immoral majority" *wink*)

The other side of the coin is, these people have been honored for their
*previous* works and contributions. If someone has a stroke and suddenly
starts behaving differently do we take this honor away from them? This
is of course an extreme life change, but as people get older, their
life, lifestyle and behavior change.

What do we do? I honestly don't know.

Ciao,