ANST - variations in chivalry ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue Jun 30 16:23:48 PDT 1998

On 30 Jun 98, at 17:32, Laury Torrence wrote:

> Weeeellllll.........that's a VERY interesting extrapolation!!!

came from a conversation that i had last night ... was sitting down with a
viscount-knight-type person at our weekly bar-moot, and we were
discussing the riders in the SCA that we've known over the years (he's
thinking of buying a harley again, and i'm trying to redirect his energies ...
some people aren't meant for two wheels and large displacement engines
...g).

> ....  It's got all the elements for a valid discussion on modern cultural
> equivalents to period cultures........

one of the reasons i though it relevent.  it's oen of the few sub-cultures that
follow similar pathways, exceed SCA in numbers (though not in
organization), and live their "dream" while living in the world.   each follow
codes of ethics and behaviour that are often at odds with the mundanes,
each tend to be mis-judged by those same mundanes, most of the
members get involved for similar reasons (finding "tribe", finding space to let
inner self manifest externally, mutal support of differences, ...)

> hmmm. Although....it may be a bit nit-picky to say that motorcycle culture
> is *more* warrior oriented, I know a few bikers who might find that a
> somewhat demeaning label. They ride for the freedom,

being a rider it was meant in the best light possible.  you find many of the
keltoi on two wheels ... warrior types in a world that has less and less
space for them.  to my mind, one of the hallmarks of the "warrior" is that
self same sense of freedom and individual.  where once were war-chariots
and horse''s, are now harley's ...

here's a exercise.  go to a ralley or event.  look for the well-ridden,
customized bikes.  look for the owners ... bet you will find that you
probably "know" them and they'll remind you strongly of a lot of the SCA
types that you know on thsi side.

>  if I weren't so paranoid about becoming a road burger, I'd probably
> ride.........

leather armour does wonders (was on a long ride this morning ... skinned
out of mine about a hour ago ... they're on the rack drying) ... as does
basic caution.  it's definitely walking "the edge of the blade", but then isn't
that a proper hero's feat (g ...)

> ... welllll, that and the fact that I'm too short to comfortably
> hold up as much bike as I'd like!!

you'ld be surprised what a little creativity re-engineering can do ... have
shown several women - none in the amazon class - in the past that fallacy
by gently laying Raven (my ride, named for one aspect of the Morrigan - a
heavy FLST softail) on her side and let them right her.  they were totally
amazed that they could do it (secret is the engine guards that always keep
the majority of the mass above the center of gravity .... no deadlifting
necessary).  it's not all about raw strength.

if the lifestyle appeals, explore it, and add to the ranks ... always room for
more riders - especially women (helps balance things out)

> One of the things I've always loved about riding (horses) was the
> feeling of power and control, the symbiosis you get with your mount
> (read that as baby)......we don't really get anything close to that
> on the modern road except on a motorcycle.

i truely miss having horses ... family raised them up until mid-70's and
working towards getting another ranch at the moment.  looking forward to
having them again in a few years (and maybe some cattle ... bison hybrids
perhaps)

always loved riding equines and discovered motorcycles early on as a
urban / long-distance option ... been on then since i was 16 (first was a
harley sporty, stayed mainly inthat line soince ...) ... 25 years now, and
shortly after found the SCA to help feed the same inner circuits (that only
deepened and strengthened over the years).

riding is one of the best thing for keeping ones sanity in a increasingly sane
world.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves