ANST - A&S Info Request

Vicki Marsh zarazina at flash.net
Sat Jun 6 08:30:15 PDT 1998

Greetings, Valstarr,

You said:
I am hoping somebody would help me with an A&S question; Was there a
bonding compound (i.e.; glue) used in period. I am looking at an A&S
project that requires attaching bone (I'm planning on using a piece of
ram horn to a fairly flexible wood

Yes, they used glues.  Some were made from the boiled down hooves and bones of horses, cattle, and sheep.
Other bonding methods included a combination of glue and  riveting.

Paraffin wax was also used, but not as durable.  The best ideas would probably come from some of the Norse digs and from the armor museums.  There are also references to glues that were used in the making of musical instruments.  Check out the library or on the web for information.

On a project like that, the main problem would be to reduce the amount of strain on the bond.  Make sure the surfaces of the bone and the wood fit well together first and then stabilize the flexibility of the wood so that it does not increase the strain.

Let us know what you find!!

Zara Zina