ANST - CHAIN MAIL LINKS

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Wed Jun 10 07:39:54 PDT 1998

On 10 Jun 98, at 1:11, SCOTT A WAGGONER wrote:

> I understand the time vs. space vs. money battle.
>  Well, perhaps others with similar interest will be able to use the info.

remember my first winding jig ... a 2x4 framed construction with adjustable tensioning
rods, run by a brace & bit ... used the heavier tie-wire that came in the long bundles.
later modified it to feed off the coils of iron tie wire .... finally fell apart when started
winding bronze wire.

to case harden ... dig pit in yard - add firebrick riser - heavy steel rod mesh grid - (tried
shopvac on exhaust feeding into base of fire through the firebricks via salvaged steel
pipe, fire was too intense)  .... pack top of grid with coarse coal, add layer of
pulversized coal, add mail, pulverized coal inside mail and on top, layer coarse coal, ...
fire up and wait ... vat of used diesal oil sitting nearby for quenching at end ...

setup barbeque grill & beer keg ... have house party while case hardening ... still have
a incomplete shirt that needs finishing (length, let out chest & back, demi-sleeves) and
case hardening at some point, might be fun to do at a demo / event some day

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves