ANST - Smelting Iron and case hardening

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Jun 10 07:28:08 PDT 1998

Tim Lozos wrote:

> To elaborate on Manfreds second question, does anyone know where to get real
> iron ore or real wrought iron?
>
> Timo

Real wrought iron is extremely hard to get a hold of these days. Most of
what is sold as "wrought iron" is actually a mild steel.

William the Smith got a hold of a qunatity of real wrought iron plates a
year or two ago and was selling the surplus. Last I talked to him, about two
or three months ago, he still had some left. I was thinking about getting
some from him because wrought iron welds much, much easier using a
forge than the mild steels commonly used today. Wrought iron also
develops a thin coating of rust and then the rusting slows down unlike
many steels.

William's email address is in my files. Or let me know by email and I
will dig out the most recent I have for him. He also frequently reads
the Rialto (rec.org.sca). I do not remember how much he was selling
the wrought iron for or what it would cost to ship it down here.
Probably both costs depend upon the quantities bought.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net