ANST - Nobility..

Casey&Coni cjw at vvm.com
Thu Jun 11 11:48:05 PDT 1998

Pug,

I liked this batch of questions... and since I haven't posted in like, three
minutes, I'll take a crack at em.

>  What are the criteria/qualities for becoming a Court Baron/ess?
>  What should be the criteria/qualities for becoming a Court Baron/ess?

This will vary from king to king but here are some guidelines given me by
different crowns from Atenveldt to Drachenwald and a few places in between.

1. Would you trust this person to hold your court for you and conduct your
business in your absence if you were king?  Would they be good at it?

2. Would you trust this person to represent your needs/concerns to a foreign
crown in matters that could affect your kingdom politically, monetarily, or
otherwise?  Would they be good at it?

3. When your populace looks at him, do they say anything to the effect of:
"Gosh, even those of us outside his given field of expertise really look up
to him and see him as a problem solver/patriarch/good example of how to play
with others?"

4. Would they look good in a hat? (this might seem trivial to you but the
king who gave me this advice was quite emphatic about it... as was his
queen.  You don't give Muck the Lepper a coronet no matter how good an agent
of the crown he is nor how many folks look up to his saintly nature or you
wind up with Barons who spend their days making mudpies with dungball
cherries on top in the slop hole of an event... in short, some personnas
just aren't suited for nobility.  I haven't heard this criteria here in
Ansteorra, but neither have I seen evidence to the contrary)

>  These people are supposed to be Nobility, what makes up the Society's
>    definition of nobility?

I imagine that this will differ from person to person.  For me, I look for
that patriarchal/matriarchal quality most; that 'buck-stops-here' quality.
"Asked everybody I knew about their opinion on spam... finally I went to
Baron X and HE said..."  I never walk away from a conversation with Mirrim
without getting what I came for... or at least *believing* I got what I came
for.  Even more so with Tivar (although I'm not sure he's a baron... but he
should be).  They're both excellent local examples of good court baroncies.

>  Has there been a Landed Baron/ess of Ansteorra who did not recieve a
>    Court Barony when they stepped down?

I have no idea... I've only been around for four years and it hasn't
happened in that time.  With our current roster of barons and baronesses I
think it unlikely that it will happen anytime in the near future.

That's it for that... tell me what you think. (as if one of you would hold
back... I should know better)

Ritter Dieterich