ANST - Nobility..

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jun 11 15:50:33 PDT 1998

"Pug Bainter" <pug at pug.net> wrote:
> Lori Campbell said something that sounded like:
> > One thing that hasn't been said yet is that in our Kingdom, CB's
> > convey a Grant of Arms, placing the recipient on the same precedence
> > level as Irises, Stars, White Scarves, Centurions, and simple Grants
> > of Rank.
>
> Actually I thought it placed them *slightly* above them. At least
> according to the "Guiding Hand", they are listed above them and not with
> them.

To be picky (who, ME?), the awards are given integers from 1
thru 22, and the difference between adjacent levels is
exactly 1 ...  The levels of precedence, snipped from the
on-line Guiding Hand:

[Royalty and ex-Royalty]

08. Barons & Baronesses in Fief

09. Visiting Barons & Baronesses in Fief

10. Peers:
   Knights of the Society (KSCA)
   Mastery of Arms (MSCA)
   Master/Mistress of the Laurel (ML)
   Master/Mistress of the Pelican (MP)

11. Court Barons & Baronesses

12. Ansteorran Grant Orders:
   Order of the Iris of Merit (CIM)
   Order of the Star of Merit (CSM)
   Order of the White Scarf of Ansteorra (WSA)

13. All other Grants of Rank

14. Ansteorran Grace Awards:
   King's Gauntlet of Ansteorra (KGA)
   Queens Glove of Ansteorra (QGA)

[All other armogerous and non-armigerous awards]

To my mind, the big gap is between 11 and 12: those above are
nobles and/or peers; those below are not.

> > An interesting point to note is that in many kingdoms, the Court
> > Barony conveys no more rank than any AoA level award.
>
> Are there any that it conveys no rank with?

Nope.  Corpora: "The titles of Baron or Baroness, whether territorial
or of the court, shall carry at least an Award of Arms if the
recipient is not already armigerous."  Ansteorra *is* unusual in
ranking barons so high.  Personally, I'd rather see *all* barons rank
above all peers, but that's just because of this weird notion I have
that "baron" is a higher title than "knight".

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.