ANST - Nobility..

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 12 00:00:33 PDT 1998

Daniel said:
>> Personally, I'd rather see *all* barons rank
>> above all peers, but that's just because of this weird notion I have
>> that "baron" is a higher title than "knight".

and Conor replied:
>I am a knight, and I agree.  I find it strange to think that I outrank
>a baron.

I tend to agree as well. It would seem logical to rank court baronies at
least perhaps equal with peerages. Then again, a court baron/baroness
doesn't hold the same responsibilities as a Great Peer does (no circles, no
obligations to teach anyone anything, plus a pretty, shiny hat), so maybe
Grant level is as high as it should rank for court baronies. Retired
landeds, however, should easily rate a higher ranking than a regular CB, as
landed have actually ruled as nobility with all the attendant
responsibilities. One thing Atenveldt did a few years ago was to appoint a
title that only retired landeds could use: Thegn and Bannthegn. Sure, they
sound a little funky, but the Crown's heart was in the right place. <g>

Aquilanne
(but you can call me Mistress Bannthegn Baroness Mistress Laurel
Goddess-Here-on-Earth)
(or just The Divine Mistress A to my friends)