ANST - Info Request

Michael Peters shdwstel at telepath.com
Fri Jun 12 01:47:07 PDT 1998

> Place the leather to be hardened on the cover cloth over your flat workspace.
> Cover the leather with a layer of aluminum foil and your cover cloth and iron it
> until it gets hot enough to melt wax then take your wax( I used a rather large
> chunk) and rub it over the heated area. When the wax stops melting, replace
> the foil and cloth and iron some more, then apply more wax. Continue until wax
> starts to seep though the other side of the leather.
> Once the leather is entirely impregnated with wax, iron once more to get it soft,
> then form it to shape and insert rivets or other hardware to connect it all.
> I was able to make two knees, two elbows and a rather large and overly thick
> kidney belt in about four hours.
> I precut the leather to shape, but waited til after waxing to cut holes  for rivets.
>
> I would be happy to answer any further questions about this as well as hear
> alternatives as I am preparing to make myself a new set of all leather armor
> (save for the helm).

 An easier non-period way to wax leather needs 3-things. 1) the leather
2) parafin 3) a good hair dryer.
  All you really have to do is place the parafin on the inside of the
piece to be waxed and heat with the dryer. The parafin usually melts
first but when the leather reaches the proper temperature it will soak
up the melted parafin like a sponge. It takes a little patience but
works quite well.

Yours,
Mykaru
Black Hydra Armouries