ANST - Nobility..

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Jun 12 08:50:57 PDT 1998

Mistress Bannthegn Baroness Mistress Laurel Goddess-Here-on-Earth
(oh we are not worthy) wrote:
> Then again, a court baron/baroness
> doesn't hold the same responsibilities as a Great Peer does ...
> so maybe Grant level is as high as it should rank for court baronies.

My first thought was "why should precedence reflect duties,
responsibilities, oror virtue"?  (The brief form of my longer
ramblings of last night.)  Precedence is just rank order,
a moderately arbitrary scoring mechanism.  Then I remembered
Robin of Gilwell discoursing on the rec.org.sca Usenet
newsgroup about honor versus virtue and changes in the concepts
of honor.  He cited Aristotle (I think) saying that honor
(visible precedence, among others) is the outward sign
of worth.  On the third hand, how does that square with
medieval notions of inheritance (you step into your father's
shoes) and tradition (you have precedence as King of Jerusalem
because you do, despite the kingdom being long gone)?  I think
I should corner him at an event, or ask him to teach /
lead a discussion.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;